This unit was raised on the 2nd November 1895 as the Headquarters Band by merging most of the bands in the area surrounding Perth. Previously to the unit’s creation there had been Brass, Drum and Pipe bands. With the HQ Band’s creation there was no longer a pipe band which wouldn’t be reformed until the creation of the Highlanders in 1903. It received it’s first and only Officer on the 24th May 1897, 2nd Lieutenant (Later Lieutenant) T Bryan. The unit was very active in celebratory parades. Information on the unit is very scarce.
In 1897 the strength of the unit was:
One Member of the Headquarters Band served in the 1st WAMI in the 2nd Boer War.